Special Recognition Award – Upham School

Upham Elementary School opened its doors to students on January 2, 1957.

Its mission was simple. Give young men and women the skills and character to succeed. Build a culture of achievement that matches the optimism and aspirations of the town. Upham reflected the parents’ values of good character tied to an ethic of study and hard work and merit.

Today Upham gets its own merit.

The Wellesley Celebrations Committee, a standing committee of the Select Board, Town of Wellesley honors Upham School with its Special Recognition Award.

Upham is named in memory of the late Ernest F. Upham.

Mr. Upham served as the head of the History Department at Wellesley High School and died on February 9, 1957, the same year the elementary school opened. Prior to the school’s dedication to Ernest Upham, the school went by another name: Wynnewood Road School. The name was most likely derived from its location since the school was built at the end of Wynnewood Road in Wellesley.

The school was designed by the architectural firm James H. Ritchie and Associates of Boston and opened with seven classrooms educating children aged from kindergarten through fifth grade. As listed in the 1956 Town of Wellesley Annual Reports, the cost to build the new school was $508,500.
Upham will be closing its doors at the end of school year. Its mascot, Ernie the Eagle will probably get a well-deserved retirement.

This is a public school, and not a fancy one. And it proves what is possible.

Great learning creates great character. Thank you, Upham.

May 18th & 19th, 2024